If you didn’t know, the Maldives is one of the top Asian countries where you’ll get to enjoy a variety of spicy food that are sure to set your taste buds on fire! These recipes are also full of flavours and don’t require many ingredients so you can easily prepare them.
Prep: 20 mins
• 2 Snubnose rudderfish (local name: kirulhiya mas) or any reef fish not too big
• 2 1/2 tbsp Islandish Githeyomirus oil
• 3 minced garlic
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp ground black pepper
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 16 lemon leaves
• Make horizontal slits on the body of each fish, rinse and pat dry to remove excess water.
• In a small bowl, whisk githeyomirus oil, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Set aside.
• Cut 2 pieces of foil big enough to enclose the fish. Spread the foil sheets and at the bottom half just below the midline of the sheet, arrange 4 lemon leaves in a single line, with the stem pointing to the top of the foil sheet. Repeat with the other piece of foil.
• In a separate plate, rub 1/2 of the seasoning mix on each fish and place each fish separately on lemon leaf beds prepared earlier and pour the marinade on top of the fish. Then, layer 4 leaves on top of the fish, in a similar manner as the bottom layer of lemon leaves.
• Fold the foil over the fish and carefully seal all edges of the foil to form an enclosed packet. Repeat with the other fish.
• Marinate the fish for total 20 mins, turning the fish over after 10 mins.
• Finally, place the packets in a pan and bake it with the lid on. After 10 mins turn over and bake the other side for 10 mins. Enjoy the fish with noodles stir fry or spaghetti!
Prep: 5 mins
• 2 slices of sandwich bread
• 2 tbsp Islandish Githeyomirus sauce
• 80g of canned tuna chunks
• 4 tomato slices
• 1 lettuce leaf
• Spread 1 tbsp of githeyomirus sauce on each slice of bread
• Layer the tuna chunks over the sauce on one slice of bread
• Next, layer the tomato slices and put a lettuce leaf on top of it.
• Place the second slice of bread on top, with sauce spread side, down.
• Enjoy your easy breakfast sandwich with your omelette and a cup of tea.
Get Islandish's authentic products here!