The Maldives Association of Tourism Industry (MATI) has announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Parley Maldives to expedite the implementation of the AIR (Avoid, Intercept and Redesign) strategy for the Tourism Industry of the Maldives. Under this MoU, MATI will partner up with Parley Maldives in several areas including education and awareness, community support and industry adaptation.
The MoU was signed on behalf of MATI by Secretary General, Mr. Ahmed Nazeer while the Executive Director of Parley Maldives, Ms. Shaahina Ali represented the organization during the event. Through this collaboration, MATI and Parley Maldives will seek to address major ocean threats to the country by pursuing creative and eco-innovative partnerships.
There are three main collaboration objectives featured under this initiative. These include:
1. AIR Advocacy & Education: Implement the ‘PARLEY AIR STRATEGY’ which embodies three key action pillars and deals with the complex threat of plastic pollution. Action pillars are:
- AVOID the use of fossil-based plastics wherever possible
- INTERCEPT plastic waste and divert it from burning, landfills and nature, into closed loops
- REDESIGN materials and products and rethink the way we live and act on Planet Earth
2. Skill Transfer to Community: Advocate and foster eco-compliant agriculture and fisheries across island communities through demonstration and skill transfer.
3. Operational Change within Industry: Encouraging and engaging MATI member resorts to opt towards ‘Redesign for Sustainability’ through reconfiguring waste management and hotel operations. Moreover, adopting a holistic AIR Strategy in resorts via staff training and development of standard operational procedures (SOPs).